IMPORTANT: Hunting weapons Permit Forms, download here:

US 4457 form
SAPS 520 form

What are the South African Passport Requirements?

Please ensure that each person travelling has a passport valid for 6 months longer than your intended stay with at least two blank pages available. Visas to South Africa are not required for citizens from the following countries; Finland, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, UK & Spain (Schengen states), USA & Canada. Should you wish to travel further destinations in Africa please ensure that you have more than two pages remaining. You are also required to have a front and back page blank that is titled Visa.

What rifle should I bring?

The best rifle to bring is the rifle that you are most comfortable with. The best minimum calibre for dangerous game cum plains game hunt is a 375. Plains game hunting rifles 270, 308, 30-06, 300. work well.

How much ammunition should I take on safari?

We suggest each client brings between 40 to 60 rounds of a minimum of 150 grain well constructed soft ammunition. Barnes, Swift a Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, or similar core bonded/partition type bullets work well. For smaller antelope species solids are recommended for minimal damage to the skins. SSG shotgun shells should be used for Genet.

What shooting practice should I do?

On Kwalata, as with most hunting farms in Southern Africa, shooting sticks are used and these will be put out for you by the professional hunter. Thus practice is best with the use of shooting sticks or from a sitting or kneeling position. Speed shooting is also good practice as old good trophy bulls got to that size by being quick. Speed and accuracy is also essential for any dangerous game as wounded animals have a tendency to charge.

What do I need to bring my rifle into Southern Africa?

Before your departure day a US 4457 Customs Form must be acquired and filled out.

Click here to download the 4457 Form

For assistance contact Henry Durheim  who will, for a fee, process all rifle permits on your behalf.

For other African countries please ensure that all your bullets are kept together in the same place. Customs officials need to inspect them and count how many are live and how many empty cartridges you have.

How should I travel with my rifle?

Your gun should be packed in a good quality padded hard shell plastic or metal gun case that locks. Please call the airline in advance to check their own policies regarding the carrying weapons. Provide sufficient time at the airport for the gun inspection by TSA or other customs officials before it is placed in the hold.

 What do I need to do to get my gun into South Africa?

Once you have collected your baggage from the carousel proceed to the airline’s baggage counter to collect your rifle. Once you have cleared customs proceed to the South Africa Police Service’s gun control counter and fill out the SAPS 520 in black ink. Preferably pre-fill out this form as it’s quite long but remember the black ink! SAP will issue a temporary import permit which must be kept safe until you leave the country again.

Click here to download the SAPS 520

For assistance contact Henry Durheim  who will, for a fee, process all rifle permits on your behalf.

Please contact us should you wish to have someone assist you with this at the airport in South Africa.

Are there any requirements to travel to other places in South Africa with my rifle?

Only SAA (South African Airways) allow rifles on internal flights in South Africa. Please also be aware that not many hotels have rifle safes and guns would then have to be left at the local police station.

Over what distances will I need to shoot?

While hunting on Kwalata most shots will be taken between 100 to 150 m (110 to 165 yards). Kudu are the most likely species to require 150m plus shot. Where ever possible shots are taken under this distance.

What is the best time of year to book a Safari?

Rifle hunters will enjoy hunting from the middle of March to the end of September. During this period there are fewer leaves on the trees so the animals are much easier to see and as it our winter the temperatures are cooler. However we have a P3- Exemption so hunting can take place all year round.

Do the animals that I want to shoot require a permit?

Any trophy marked on our species list with an asterisk * requires a permit. Please let us know that you would like to hunt these trophies at least a month in advance (just to play it safe) so that we can secure the permit for you. Leopard is the only trophy that cannot be applied for per client and can only be sold should we have one available.

How long will it take to get my trophies home?

Usually the process for “dip and pack” takes up to six months. Obviously taxidermy and mounting of the trophies will take longer. The process is also dependant on how quickly deposits are paid to the taxidermists and how long Nature Conservation takes to issue the export permits.

What will the weather be like?

During our winter months, June to September, the day time temperatures are a nice 16 (60.8 deg. Fahrenheit) to 28 (82.4) degrees. However the night temperatures can be cold particularly for any night hunting or night activities and can drop to -2 (28.4) at a maximum. The weather is nice enough to swim from October to March but equally a rain jacked during these months may be wise. Generally we have fantastic weather!

What should I pack?

• Passport & tickets
• Rifle and ammunition (No less than 40 cartridges)
• Rifle hire available
• No vaccinations needed (Malaria free area on Kwalata)
• Comfortable walking boots/ shoes and socks. (please don’t bring new shoes but a comfortable well worn pair)
• Warm Jacket for winter months – June to end of September
• Rain Jacket – generally only needed from October to March
• Three to four sets of clothes – daily laundry is available
• Camouflage or darker coloured clothing. Please avoid light colours/ light khaki
• Dinners are casual so just wear what’s comfortable
• Sunscreen and sunglasses
• Warm clothing and gloves for night hunters
• Wide brim hat
• Personal medication for allergies and diabetes etc
• Flashlight / headlamp
• International travel / medical insurance
• Camera / video camera and lots of batteries
• Binoculars
• Leatherman / pocket knife to be packed inside your luggage and not in a carry-on bag.
• Good insect repellent
• 220 to 110 voltage converter and adapter plug
• A good book – it’s a long flight!

Is there cell phone reception?

There is limited cell phone reception so it’s best to take your phone hunting with you and leave it on SILENT to pick up reception while driving in the mountains.

Is there internet access?

Our office on Kwalata has internet access via satellite which guests are welcome to use during the afternoon rest or after hunting in the evenings.

Do I need any special medication or Malaria tablets?

Kwalata Wilderness is Malaria free however trips to Zimbabwe and Mozambique do require Malaria tablets. The best ones to use are Doxycyclene or Malaren which require a prescription. Otherwise no other medication or inoculations are required.

I have a medical condition or recently had an operation…

Please let us know before arrival and preferably tell your professional hunter. That way we won’t make you crawl if you have recently had a knee operation!

How far is a hospital and how can I get there if something goes wrong?

We have a local helicopter service and a doctor who will be able to pick you up should anything happen. South Africa has some excellent hospitals to take good care of you.

Do I need any insurance cover?

Medical & travel insurance is important just in case your baggage or rifle goes missing or should you accidently break a leg or need to cancel your trip. Your travel agent can arrange this for you. Visit Sportsman’s Insurance Agency for all rifle insurance in the USA. Call them on 800-925-7767 or visit them on the web at .

Do you cater for special diets?

Yes. Please provide us with any specific dietary requirements for yourself and others in your party, to assist us in making your stay as pleasant as possible.

Do I need to tip?

If you feel that you have been given good service and that the person met or exceeded your expectations tipping is a nice way to say thank you. Tips are excluded from prices and are always appreciated by staff and professional hunters. Please enquire if you feel unsure as to what amount is appropriate.

Do I need to pay a deposit?

50% of the day fees need to be paid in advance to secure your safari dates as well as 50% deposit for specific big 5 hunting animals to secure the trophy and or permit tag.

How can I pay for the balance of my trip?

We accept Visa and Master Cards (5% banking fee will apply)
US Dollars / Euro cash
US Dollar/ Euro traveller’s cheques

What is the time difference between the Europe and South Africa (& Southern Africa)?

Europe has the same time summer zone that we do, however in winter this can differ by an hour or two behind depending on your location.

What is the time difference between the USA and South Africa (& Southern Africa)?

Generally the US is about 8 hours behind varying from the East Coast by 6 hours to a 9 hour difference on the West Coast. South Africa itself works on a single time zone as do our concession in Zimbabwe and Mozambique which have the same time as South Africa.